CITY OF PALM COAST
OFFICE OF THE CITY MANAGER
NEWS RELEASE/PUBLIC NOTICE
August 7, 2012
Contact: Palm Coast Building Division
City of Palm Coast
UNLICENSED INDIVIDUALS ACTING AS CONTRACTORS IN OUR AREA
An increase of unlicensed business activity is being reported across our area. It is important for all Palm Coast citizens to heighten awareness about contractors you may be hiring to work at or on your home. Please note the following suggestions:
- Before you hire any contractor, ask to see a copy of their state issued license and call the Building Division (386-986-3780) to verify the license. A business tax receipt does not qualify anyone to act as a contractor.
- Contractors must have a state license and the proper workers compensation and liability insurance to perform any roofing repairs/replacements, additions, HVAC repair/replacements, plumbing work, electrical work or swimming pool repairs; these jobs typically require a permit.
- Be sure to sign a contract before any work is performed and be certain your contract contains the contractor's name, street address, telephone number and state license number.
Here are some warning signs to look out for:
Unlicensed individuals often
- Target the uninformed, inexperienced as well as the elderly.
- Solicit door-to-door, frequently traveling in unmarked trucks and vans.
- Can provide work more cheaply than licensed contractors
- Provide a post office box instead of a physical address
- Convince you to obtain the building permit
If you contract with a person who does not have a license, warranties for items installed are not usually honored by an unlicensed individual. In addition, City and State agencies/boards may be unable to assist you with any financial loss that you sustain as a result of your complaint; your only remedy against an unlicensed contractor may be in civil court.
Educate yourself, become an informed consumer and protect yourself from dishonest persons who will use your misfortune to their advantage.
Additional resources for verification of a license check or to lodge a complaint are available at:
- Flagler County Licensing Manager; Ramona Zavacky : 386-313-4085
- Department of Business and Professional Regulations : 866-532-1440 / 800-488-6603
# # #